Hot chocolate is the ultimate comfort drink that warms you up on a chilly day. Making it on the stovetop is easy, and using the best ingredients, along with the correct amounts of each, will ensure that your hot chocolate is rich, flavorful, and indulgent. So, let's dive in and learn how to make the best hot chocolate on the stovetop.
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 8 tablespoons of high-quality dark chocolate (70% cacao)
- Pinch of organic salt
- Optional: Whipped cream and marshmallows for topping
Heat the milk: Pour the milk into a medium-sized saucepan and heat it over medium heat until it is hot but not boiling.
Add the chocolate: Chop the chocolate into small pieces and add it to the milk. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
Add salt: Add a pinch of organic salt to the mixture. Stir until the salt has dissolved.
Heat and stir: Turn the heat to low and stir the mixture constantly until it thickens slightly and becomes steamy hot. Be careful not to let it boil.
Serve: Once the hot chocolate is steaming hot and the desired consistency, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the hot chocolate into mugs. Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, and any other toppings of your choice.
Tips for the best hot chocolate:
- Use high-quality chocolate: Using high-quality chocolate is key to making the best hot chocolate. Look for chocolate that has a high percentage of cacao, around 70% or higher.
- Use whole milk: Whole milk will give your hot chocolate a rich and creamy texture. If you prefer a lighter version, you can use skim milk or a plant-based milk alternative.
- Add salt: Adding a pinch of organic salt will enhance the flavor of your hot chocolate and give it a more complex taste.
- Don't let it boil: Boiling your hot chocolate can cause it to become gritty and lose its smooth texture. Keep the heat low and stir constantly to avoid this.
- Experiment with toppings: Hot chocolate is delicious on its own, but adding whipped cream, marshmallows, or other toppings can make it even more indulgent. Get creative and have fun!
Making hot chocolate on the stovetop is a fun and easy way to enjoy this classic drink. And when you use high-quality, organic ingredients, you can feel good about what you're drinking.If you are running low on a quality hot chocolate mix, look no further. Our classic hot chocolate mix can be found here.
So, cozy up with a mug of delicious hot chocolate, add some marshmallows and whipped cream, and enjoy a moment of comfort and joy.